XAMPP, WAMP, LAMP for Web Application Development
For open source web application development, an apposite environment which includes web server, data base, and scripting engine or programming language parser is the backbone for the project life cycle. Whether during the development, testing or maintenance after the installation of application, anything you want to work, one needs the development environment, more precise to call it as a virtual environment, to check the functionality of application developed.
Among various development platforms, XAMPP, WAMP & LAMP are the popular and industry wide accepted development environment that are been preferred for open source web application development. These are preferred because of easy syndication of operating systems, application server, programming language and the database to develop an open source web application with desirable outcome, that too in optimal development time.
The web applications are developed on the standalone web servers and development environment before they are actually installed in live environment on the data servers, (in-house or cloud), to perform as per disposition. These web application development environment are nothing but open-source packages that can be installed on individual systems also known as development and testing environment. XAMPP, WAMP and LAMP development can comparatively easily stack together different number of programs to constitute an application as per desire. Best thing about the web application developed using XAMP, WAMP or LAMP is that these are open-source, no licensing required, are free to use and can be customize according to one’s need.
XAMPP: [acronym for: X (“cross-platform”) Apache HTTP Server, MySQL, PHP, Perl.]
It’s a compilation of individual programs bind together, released under the terms of the GNU General Public License: that means it can be used freely. Though XAMPP can be installed on all platform but their installation file is platform specific. It’s an all in one solutions with one control panel to install and configure all packaged programs.
- Can be installed on all operating systems.
- Live community support.
- Easy installation and configuration.
- When too many packages are bind together, it gets little slow compared to other open-source package distribution.
WAMP: [Acronym for: Windows, Apache HTTP Server, MySQL, and PHP.]
Independently created programs stack together in one program to be installed on windows platform. WAMP makes it very easy to install all the programs in one go and pre-configured rather than installing each programs individually. WAMP is same as XAMPP, single control panel will install all the programs.
- Installation and configuration is very easy.
- Open-source packages.
- Only for windows environment.
LAMP: [Acronym for: Linux, Apache HTTP Server, MySQL, PHP / Perl]
Packaged for Linux environment, LAMP compile all the programs in one package, and they need to be installed individually. Though they all are different programs but they do scale each other very well. Because of being free and open-source, with ubiquitous presence of various components and ever increasing community of developers, the LAMP stacks and components are industry proven and receives constant up-gradations.
LAMP is most popular environment for web application development.
- Most popular development and design environment.
- More than 80% of all live environment utilize LAMP platform. The familiarity with file structure makes it easy and very fast to deploy from development to live environment.
- Linux is known for its security, that is why LAMP platform is much more popular in live environment and have great community support.
- Although LAMP is very secure and popular, at desktop environment Linux still lags behind other operating systems, primarily because it is still not that user friendly then windows desktop.
- Installation require knowledge of Linux file structure.