Drones, IoT and Telematics: Technologies for Smart Transportation and Logistics
Logistics and its management has always been crucial to the infrastructural and economic progress in India. Basically, it is the process of goods flow management between the two nodal points, origin and the destination. Technology plays a vital role in minimizing the usage of shared resources and maximizing the convenience to the Driver, customer and Business owners while transit between these two nodal points. The conventional logistics mediums in India are railways, roadways, air freight and land transport wherein various national and international agencies are involved to deliver paramount services to customers. All these agencies employ new technologies time and again within the logistics hierarchy to minimize the resource consumption while maximizing the throughput.
Technological Intervention in Logistics & Transportation Industry The process in Logistics & Transportation Business in framed in layered structure where lot of activities often overlap because of dependencies on shared resources. The gamut of technology implementation spreads across trivial as well as major business operation activities encompassing information exchange, material handling, production, packaging, transportation, warehousing and security etc. It aims at enhancing the efficiency, bring automation and reduce the errors. Various latest technology have succeeded in optimizing one or more of these stages to improve the overall efficiency. Emerging Technology Applications and Opportunity for Indian Logistic Industry:
- Drones are in usage by ECom Companies for enhancing the Last mile delivery medium for just-in-time delivery to the customers. The drones fitted with cameras and connected over the internet to the base station can be tracked, monitored and controlled remotely to ensure the safe delivery of goods. After the successful trial run, MNCs.
- Internet of Things: The volcano of ideas and development of IoT at breakneck speed is expected to influence every sector of society, culture and economy. We are witnessing new developments in IoT spread across connected vehicles, connected wearable devices, connected cities, connected buildings and connected home with every eye blink. Last week, Ericsson unveiled the connected bus stop that supports commuter-specific functionality such as real-time information about bus movements, interactive maps, local news and tourist information etc. It is just the beginning and the business evangelists are moving ahead with opportunities on both sides of the alley.
- Telematics is the most widely implemented technology in the logistics sector presently. It enables the Transportation & Logistics business owner with competence to monitor vehicle location and information remotely. The advanced telematics solutions like fleet management & vehicle tracking enables the fleet operators mend the operational processes by parsing the relevant vehicle movement reports, route selection and timing as well as frequency of breaks.
- Embedded Products: Wearable Devices, handheld equipment and sensors enabled devices are the latest upgrade in sophisticated warehouses of Tesco where the staff members use this device to track, navigate, monitor and optimize the logistics procedure altogether. The embedded products catering to customized business requirements of Transportation & Logistics business ranging from on-spot billing devices, handheld weighing meter, walky-talky, POS, sensors, alarms, automation systems etc. are out casting the traditional means of communication and modes for carrying out trivial activities to bring in more efficiency.
Applications of Telematics using Sensors and Components:
- Virtualization of major activities in logistics business process.
- Easy and real-time tracking of the transported goods.
- Route Deviation: Check on the deviation from the specified path.
- Monitoring: Easy monitoring of the idle time of the vehicle.
- Business Intelligence: Better predictability of the tentative goods delivery time.
- Alerts: Receive regular alerts related to fuel consumption and other vehicle factors.
- Communication: Better communication between the dispatcher, driver and the client.
- Accuracy: Timely and accurate delivery reports to both sides of the business transaction.
India is rapidly catching up with the rest of the world by implementing the latest technology solutions available for Transportation and Logistics sector. Of all these technologies, telematics offers a complete solutions for the efficient management especially for developing country like India which requires instant results with minimum investments. Fleet Robo is an emerging brand in the field of logistics solutions that troubleshoots all the dents in its structure. Log on to Fleet Robo to know more about the application of Fleet Robo in the efficient administration of logistics-related issues in contemporary India.