Design and Development of Capital Gain Tax Computation Application
Our client is one of the premier financial and tax advisory forms in the country, providing Tax Management Solutions to help businesses overcome Tax Compliance challenges.
They offer Services covering:
- Maintenance of FIIs details
- Sub Accounts
- Depository Participants & Scripts Trade-in
- Handling Purchase & Sale – In Shares
- Mutual Funds
- Derivatives & Debentures
- Computation of Taxable Income
- Liability with Set-Offs
- Generating Payment Instruments & Returns
Under Capital Gain Tax
The client had been using a legacy software system for Capital Gains Tax computations of their clients. However with changing times, they felt the necessity to have a flexible, easy to use, robust and efficient system.
Binary Semantics was engaged for this assignment. It involved detailed analysis of existing business/ rules and identifying real life scenarios especially in Capital Gain (CG) Computation, Calculation of Interest u/s 234C.
Given the dynamic nature of CG taxation rules, adequate flexibility in Design had to be ensured to have minimum impact on the functioning of the application. From the implementation perspective the need was to carry forward all the data from master tables & business rules from current financial year to the subsequent financial year.
The requirement was to provide the client with a software using which they automate the complete process of Capital Gains Tax computations for their clients such as large FIIs. The challenge was to address:
- wide variety of highly unstructured input data formats from various intermediaries such as Banks and Depository Participants (NSDL and CSDL)
- changing Govt. regulations and Tax Structures from time to time
- positions being taken by customers and
- Large number statutory reports such as Challans, Remittance Certicate, and Annual Returns etc. confirming to Govt. prescribed formats.