Capability Maturity Model- Integration (CMMI®) provides guidance for improving your organization processes and your ability to manage the development, acquisition and maintenance of products and services.
CMMI enables organizations that want to pursue process improvement in multiple functional areas with less additional investment for each additional function.
- CMMI supports process integration and product improvement.
- CMMI integrates multiple disciplines into one process-improvement framework.
- CMMI provides a framework for introducing new disciplines as needs arise.
- Efficient, effective assessment and improvement across multiple process disciplines in an organization
- Improvements to best practices incorporated from the Software CMM
- A common, integrated vision of improvement for all elements of an organization
- A means of representing new discipline-specific information in a standard, proven process-improvement context
1. Staged Representation
- Provides a proven sequence of improvements, each serving as a foundation for the next
- Permits comparisons across and among organizations by the use of maturity levels
- Provides an easy migration from the SW-CMM to CMMI
- Provides a single rating that summarizes appraisal results and allows comparisons among organizations
2. Continuous Representation
- Allows you to select the order of improvement that best meets your organization's business objectives and mitigates your organization's areas of risk
- Enables comparisons across and among organizations on a process-area-by-process-area basis
|Process Area Mapped to the Maturity Level|
|Maturity Level||Process Area|
|Level 1: Initial Process unproductive, poorly controlled and reactive|
|Level 2: Managed Process characterized for projects and is often reactive||
|Level 3: Defined Process characterized for the organization and is proactive||
|Level 4: Quantitatively Managed Process measured and controlled||
|Level 5: Optimizing Focus on continuous process improvement||Organizational Innovation and Deployment Casual Analysis and Resolution|